Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Galimoto Math

Found a galimoto bicycle for when Mrs. Mebus reads the book, Galimoto, by Karen Williams to her 2nd grade class. A galimoto is a toy vehicle usually fashioned out of old wire.  Sometimes they a bikes, usually when I see kids playing with them they are rather large four wheel cars.  I've only seen two of these little bikes so far in any of the craft stalls I've been in.   It was hot and I didn't have the energy to bargain so I paid full price for it, $25!

So before Mrs. Mebus faints about how much of her money I spent, let's do the math.  Oh, I forgot to mention that the $25 was 25 Namibian dollars.


Practice MSP Math Question
   If Mr. Leitz spent 25 Namibian dollars for a galimoto for Mrs. Mebus and if one US dollar is equal to 6.7 Nambian dollars, how much in US money does Mrs. Mebus owe Mr. Leitz?   :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I bought one of these bikes last year. I wanted a car but they did not make the model I was looking for. Anyway, I have a bit of trouble riding it around in the winter with the snow. I tried to enter the Tour de France this past July but they took one look and just laughed at me and said: "No beads, man." You definitely overspent on this one, Steve. No rubber on the wheels, what were you thinking of? Or... is this a dirt bike? AnnF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr. Leitz, Thank you for finding our class a
    galimoto! We are looking forward to reading the book and seeing the bicycle you found. There are a few of my 2nd graders who are going to figure out how much money I owe you. We will get back to you soon! Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures - From Mrs. Mebus and the students

    ReplyDelete